UNI men’s basketball preview for conference game with Bradley
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – UNI men’s basketball makes their first appearance at the conference with a midweek clash against Bradley University (2-5).
UNI (2-3) has just won its first top 25 victory of the season. UNI defeated No. 16 St. Bonaventure, 90-80, on Saturday. The Panthers are the first school in the Missouri Valley Conference to defeat a ranked opponent this year.
Junior AJ Green was named MVC Player of the Week for tying his career record with 35 points in one game. He scored nine three-pointers, which tied a program record for most points behind the arc in a single game. Current panther Noah Carter put the mark last season.
UNI has scored 80 points or more in the last three games. The team record for consecutive games over 80 points is four.
Bradley is coming off a 71-39 victory over Maine after going 0-3 at Paradise Jam. Junior college transfer Terry Roberts leads the Braves in interceptions and points, averaging 13.7 points per game. Malevy Leons and Roberts lead the team in three runs scored with 12 and 11 over the season.
Leons is also the blocking leader and second in rebounds behind Rienk Mast, who is averaging 8.6 per game.
The Panthers lead the series 35-33. The teams went their separate ways in recent back-to-back meetings at the McLeod Center with Bradley. UNI won the first, 78-72, but Bradley won the last meeting, 75-73
MVC PRES-SEASON OUTLOOK
UNI was chosen to finish third in the conference, while Bradley was chosen to finish sixth. Two Panthers have been named to the MVC preseason squads. Green took top honors as preseason and senior player of the year Austin phyfe was named in the fully MVC preseason second team.
Bradley also had two players who took pre-season honors. Both Ja’Shon Henry and Rienk Mast were named to the fully MVC pre-season third squad.
- AJ Green moved up to 14th on the all-time scorers list with 1,265 points.
- TraÃ© Berhow has 1,278 career points between UNI and Pepperdine with 978 points as a Panther for 46th place in program history.
- Austin phyfe (68th, 810 points) and Tywhon Pickford (84th, 668 points) are also ranked in the top 100.
- The Panthers lead the MVC and are 13th in Division I for three-pointers per game with an average of 11.
- AJ Green holds the MVC’s top spot in field goals at three points per game with 3.4 per game, which is 22nd nationally. TraÃ© Berhow ranks third in the conference and 108th in Division I with 2.60.
- Trae Berhow’s The three-point basket percentage of 46.4% is the best of the MVC, while AJ Green is fourth with 39.5%.